Make sure you’re ready for Easter this year by planning ahead. Whether you’re cooking for your family and friends, or running the cafe and restaurant make sure you have lots of goodies for everyone to enjoy. Nisbets are here to help, not only to provide you with this yummy chocolate hazelnut cake recipe, but to be the one stop shop for all your kitchen essentials.
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200g butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups self-raising flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup choc-hazelnut spread (e.g. Nutella)
- 80 small solid chocolate Easter eggs
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 20cm (base) round cake tin. Place chocolate into a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Heat on MEDIUM (50%) power for 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal stirring spoon, or until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla essence until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add cooled chocolate. Mix well.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder together in a sieve. Fold half the flour mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold half the milk into chocolate mixture. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk.
- Spoon cake batter into cake pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire cake cooling rack to cool completely.
- Spread choc-hazelnut spread over cake. Top with Easter eggs. Serve.