A flavour-packed, hearty broth that captures the richness of Asian flavours. This broth is full of nature goodness that supports a healthy life style and satisfies your taste buds at the same time. A great recipe that guarantees to keep the heat up during colder months with its beautiful red chillies and protects your body against nasty winter threats with a hit of vitamin C. The sweetness of the barbecued pork balances out the orange citrus flavour and matches well with the heat of the chilli.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
|400 g Chinese barbecued pork, thinly sliced||2 tsp orange rind|
|20 g dried shiitake mushrooms||1/4 cup orange juice|
|4 shallots, finely chopped||1 tsp tamarind concentrate|
|2 tsp vegetable oil||100 g Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|1 garlic clove, crushed||4 spring onions, thinly sliced|
|2 small red chillies, finely shredded||8 cups of water|
|4 cups of beef stock|
- Soak the dried mushrooms in cold water for an hour then drain, remove stems and thinly slice them.
- In a Large Saucepan, heat the vegetable oil; cook the shallots, garlic and shredded chillies while stirring continuously till fragrant and shallots are softened.
- Add the water, beef stock, orange rind, juice and tamarind; then bring to a boil.
- Throw in the pork, sliced soaked and drained mushrooms and Swiss brown sliced mushrooms; reduce heat and simmer with lid on for about 10 minutes.
- Serve in bowls sprinkled with spring onion.
Tip: Chinese barbecued pork is available from Asian grocery stores or specialty food shops.