Image Credit: The Good Taste Company
A deliciously refreshing twist on the classic tomato soup, this recipe will have your kitchen awash with aromas of mint and basil. The mint cuts nicely through the rich flavours of tomato and capsicum, while the inclusion of basil echoes the sensibilities of classic Italian recipes.
Red fruits and vegetables such as tomato and capsicum take their colour from lycopene, a pigment commonly found in the carotenoid family and valued for its free-radical fighting, anti-oxidant properties. The health benefits of lycopene include its ability to reduce bad cholesterol, lower blood pressure and even prevent some types of cancer.
Simple to prepare and quick to cook, this light yet intensely flavoursome soup is a great go-to no matter the season. Ensure you’re using fresh, high quality herbs to unlock to true potential of this dish.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
|1 tbsp olive oil||1 brown onion, finely chopped|
|3 garlic cloves, finely chopped||2 cups crushed tomatoes|
|2 roasted red capsicum, cut into cubes||2 cups chicken stock|
|2 tsp sugar||1 tbsp balsamic vinegar|
|½ cup shredded basil leaves||salt and pepper to season|
|mint leaves to serve|
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil then add chopped onion and garlic and stir for 5 minutes till onion is softened.
- Add the tomatoes, capsicum, stock, sugar and balsamic vinegar and stir well to mix all ingredients together.
- Add basil leaves, season soup with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- With a stick blender, mix the soup well till smooth.
- Serve in little bowls topped with mint leaves.