Herbs are not merely a garnish in this recipe – they take centre stage, and rightfully so. Dill, parsley and mint all take their green colour from the plant pigment chlorophyll, prized for its detoxifying, healing and appetite regulating benefits. Their delicate yet distinct flavours complement each other perfectly, offering a lighter take on traditional chicken soup recipes.
Low in carbohydrates but rich in protein and nutrients, Chicken and Green Herbs Soup is a lean and healthy meal. Total preparation and cooking time comes in at under an hour, making this soup a worthwhile addition to your home cooking repertoire. As the herbs are the stars of this recipe, ensure you are using fresh, high quality produce and olive oil to maximise flavour.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
|2 tbsp butter||500 g boned and skinned chicken, cut into cubes|
|1 large onion, chopped||2 garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|salt and pepper, to season||¼ cup flour|
|5 cups chicken stock||2 tbsp olive oil|
|½ cup finely chopped dill||½ cup finely chopped parsley|
|2 tbsp finely chopped mint||¼ cup stock|
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan then add chicken cubes, stir till golden.
- Add onion and garlic and keep stirring.
- Season with salt and pepper then add flour and stir till all ingredients are mixed together.
- Add chicken stock, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or till chicken is cooked through.
- In a blender mix olive oil with all the green herbs and ¼ cup of stock.
- Add the herbs mix to the soup, stir well and simmer for another 10minutes.
- Serve hot.